1. Royal Caribbean celebrated the naming ceremony of its newest and biggest ship, Symphony of the Seas, with its first-ever “Godfamily.” Rather than a Godmother or Godfather, actors Alexa and Carlos PenaVega and their 23-month-old son Ocean serve as the Godfamily to the ship. The event was also an opportunity to show off the line’s new Miami terminal, so Royal Caribbean celebrated in style. Read the full article here.
Clearly, the PenaVega’s son, Ocean, was impressed by the ship his family was naming! (Photo courtesy of Royal Caribbean)
2. Carnival Cruise Line revealed details of its newest ship that’s scheduled to be delivered in 2020. As the line’s largest ever ship, it will introduce a brand new hull design and will be the first North American-based cruise ship to be powered by the more environmentally friendly LNG. Additional details, like the ship’s name, are yet to come. Read the full article here.
With the steel cutting, construction officially began on Carnival’s biggest-ever ship! (Photo courtesy of Carnival Cruise Line)
3. Holland America Line introduced a new benefits package this week. Called “Club Orange,” for an extra $50 per person per day guests can enjoy extra perks like priority check-in and disembarkation, private dining rooms, priority tendering, and more. Read the full article here.
4. Carnival announced new itineraries for its 2020 sailings. Carnival Sunrise and Carnival Radiance, two of the fleet’s current ships known as Carnival Triumph and Carnival Victory which will undergo $200 million renovations each, will feature Mediterranean cruises as well as the line’s first-ever cruise from New York to Cuba. Read the full article here.
5. Carnival also announced a new food venue that will debut onboard Carnival Radiance: “Big Chicken.” Developed by the line’s CFO, or Chief Fun Officer and NBA Hall of Famer Shaquille O’Neal, the new eatery will feature a chicken-centric menu, with items like a fried chicken sandwich and a fried chicken and egg biscuit during breakfast hours. Read the full article here.
Selection from Shaq’s Big Chicken restaurant. (Photo via Carnival)